Bamboo bedding is a great alternative to cotton, but there are some specific care instructions that come with this eco-friendly option.
– Wash your bamboo sheets king size or similar sizes twice as often as you would regular sheets to remove any lingering residue. This natural leftover might be what gives bamboo its fresh scent, but it can also make your bed less comfortable for sleeping on over time.
– Bamboo needs more time in the dryer than cotton; set it for at least 20 minutes or until the load has stopped moving around.
– Bamboo sheets can be washed in a front load washer. However, you should not use bleach to clean them. Natural soap is a good option, or a detergent specifically made for bamboo sheets. You can also use a natural stain remover from your local drugstore.
– As you wash your bedding, check the labels for the recommended drying time and temperature settings. Some bamboo sheets may need to be dried at low heat since heat can cause fading and damage to the fabric over time if it isn’t dried correctly.
– For more detailed care instructions, check the manufacturer’s guide for bamboo sheets.
– After you wash your bedding, it’s recommended that you air dry your sheets. You will see an immediate improvement in how your sheets feel when they are dry. If you are concerned about wrinkles in the bedding after being washed, hang them on a drying rack or lay them flat to relax them.
– Bamboo bedding is hypoallergenic, but it is not resistant to water or allergens. It will still mold if you have pets or a lot of bed traffic. Consider interchanging or using them together with a cooling mattress protector.
– If your sheets feel a little damp, do not put them in the dryer right away. Air dry them with a towel on top of your bed for 20 minutes to ensure that they are completely dry before using them again. Otherwise, they could shrink and have an uneven fit after being washed for the first time with detergent or bleach.
– If you want to hand wash your bamboo sheets, use an eco-friendly laundry detergent, and avoid using bleach. Rinse your sheets with cold water and let them hang to dry in a well-ventilated area.
– Bamboo sheets will naturally fade over time if you don’t take proper care of them. You can avoid this fading by following the above tips and procedures for washing and drying.
– Wash your sheets in cold water and line dries them if you want to reduce wrinkles and maintain the quality of the bamboo over time.
Regardless of whether you prefer cotton or bamboo bedding, you should follow these care instructions carefully to ensure that your bedding lasts for a long time and remains comfortable. Since most bamboo bed sets are less than $100, they make an affordable option for people looking for eco-friendly bedding. As with all-natural fibers such as cotton or silk, the more you wash the fabric during its lifetime, the less it will last.