Designing a business logo can be an exciting but also daunting task, especially when you’re just entering an entrepreneurial journey. If you wish your company to grow and establish a big brand, you’ll have to pay close attention to the brand strategy. No matter how small or big your business is—you need to work on it as it creates trust.
A powerful brand makes you recognizable in your niche market, paving the success path for your business. The bigger your brand is, the easier it would become to carve opportunities for your business.
Building loyalty and sharing your client’s values should be your goal with branding. And if you manage to do this right, your customers, as well as competitors, will always remember you.
If you’re planning to build your brand, you’ll have to understand where to start from. We would suggest you create a logo first because it’s the best way you can use it to leave a long-lasting positive impact on your audience.
But how to design a logo
In fact, there are quite a few options to design a logo.
- If you’re a solopreneur or business owner running a business on a shoestring budget, a free logo maker tool is an obvious choice for you. All you need is a bit of creativity, and these DIY tools let you guide you through the process of getting a striking business logo. Most DIY tools are free to use. But they ask you to pay a little amount of money if you want to download high-resolution design files.
2. The second option is the design contest. There are many creative design platforms where you can launch a design contest, and logo designers from across the world submit their dozens of entries within a couple of days. This option is an affordable way to get the job done professionally. The option lets you choose a logo that best narrates your brand’s story, or is closer to your brand. After that, you can get multiple chances, with choices of your colours, fonts, icons, and so on, until you like it.
3. Third and last option is — hire a designer or design agency. This is the most professional but expensive approach to designing a brand identity. This option lets you work with the logo designer 1-to-1. This option is usually chosen by businesses with a good budget.
Whichever option you like, you can get on platforms like Designhill, 99designs, or Fiverr, etc.
Essential elements to include in a logo
Although there are many types of logos out there, most small businesses prefer to include their companies’ names in the logos to make it easy for the audience to recognize instantly.
If you’re also a small business owner, you should incorporate your company’s name as well as some graphic design that would make it stand out. The graphic design may be an additional shape or illustration.
You can have a couple of different variations of the logo. One can be full, with your name and all design elements, while others can be a smaller version with just your initials or a tiny image. The smaller version is ideal when using small things such as social media icons.
When to create a logo
Ideally, you should start working on your logo design just after registering your business name. This approach would avoid the risk of getting your effort and money wasted in case you’re not able to secure the desired name and need to create from scratch.
Once your name is registered, and you’re all set to kick-off promoting it, you should have your company’s logo. A logo design is essential in brand promotion—it pulls together all branding elements that help your target audience recall your brand.
Therefore, it’s imperative to have your logo in place when you begin working with your clients so that they wouldn’t get disconnected even if you change it soon after that.
Key tips for designing a powerful logo
Like any other project, you’ll need to brainstorm what type of logo your business needs, how it should look, etc. before creating a logo for your business—no matter whether you want to create on your own or work with a designer. For an outstanding logo, you must have a solid understanding of your business niche, target audience, and many other aspects.
● Colour: Color is the most crucial element of all. Pay attention to it as it attracts the audience the most. Make sure the colours you choose for the logo design are in line with the audience. For example, if your products are related to kids, you should keep bright colours as much as possible. You need to know about colour psychology.
Different colours carry different connotations with customers. For example, red is associated with passion, power, love, and anger. Similarly, orange carries the meaning of energy, happiness, and vitality. Blue is popular with companies that want to look calm, responsible. If you’re going to show authority or mystery in your brand, you should include black in your logo design and other marketing materials.
● Font: Font is another essential element of a logo design that you should consider. Pretty much similar to the colour choices, the typeface that you choose for your logo should be related to your brand in some way. For example, if you want to look modern and stylish, a stylish font will be better. On the other hand, companies that want to appear professional, go with classic typefaces.
Whichever fonts you choose, make sure they are readable, irrespective of the size and format of the logo. They should be equally clear on a large printed material and a tiny social media icon.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the colour schemes and typeface styles, it’s time to bring everything together. You may choose to incorporate an image or symbol with your company’s name as long as it’s clear, meaningful. Analyze logos of some big brands minutely how have they added small details and embellishments.
Moreover, your logo design should be simple, clear—no matter what fonts, colours, icons, and graphics you include. Too many icons, text, etc. make a logo look cluttered—make a note of it. Also, a sophisticated logo fails to leave a lasting impression on the target customers, especially when it is printed, reducing the size to fit small graphics.
Coming up with a fantastic business log design is a critical task and accomplishing it is of utmost importance. Now that you’ve got inspiration, it’s time to bring those ideas into your personal logo design.
While designing a logo seems pretty easy, it’s not that easy unless you’re determined and abide by these logo design fundamentals. Always keep in mind the taste of your target audience and your business nature while designing your company’s face.
Do you know any other logo design tips that you think are worth considering? Let us know in the comments below.