Stress and tension are the main reasons that cause problems like depression, anxiety and heart related issues. High blood pressure, low blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and a long list or other related diseases are associated with the heart.
This happens only when there is any change in the way our blood flows. If it is treated in the initial stages, almost all of these illnesses are curable. But if the symptoms go unnoticed for a long time, you might have to undergo surgeries. One might have to take up risky procedures like angioplasty, open-heart surgery, or heart transplant or valve replacement to bring the body back to functioning normally.
After any such surgeries or treatments, a patient needs to be taken care of seriously, which can only be done by proper medical practiced staff. One cannot stay in the hospital for months, nor is it feasible to get the hospital staff at home. Thus, to help patients get better, cardiac rehabilitation programs have been started. Let us know in detail.
What is cardiac rehabilitation?
Cardiac rehabilitation, also known as cardiac rehab, is a program created by WHO that works for the control of heart diseases and their post and pre-care. This program works to make people physically, mentally, fit and fine, especially those who have problems like angina or heart failure. With the help of this, efforts are made to help patients recover from cardiovascular disease.
What happens in Cardiac Rehabilitation?
In Cardiac Rehabilitation, initially, the conditions of the patients are analyzed. If the patient has suffered a heart attack, all the treatment is decided accordingly. If a patient has suddenly had heart surgery, after seeing its complications and symptoms and understanding it, the patient is treated.
There is a total of 4 phases of Cardiac Rehabilitation. The following are the phases being followed when a patient undergoes rehab:
1) Acute: – This is the time when the patient was diagnosed some time ago. It is also called an in-hospital patient period. In this, the patient is given treatment for 2-5 days in the observation of cardiac rehab specialists. Here more attention is paid to the patient’s medicine, exercises, and stress management.
2) Subacute: – This is the second phase which is also called the outpatient care phase. This work is done on further treatment of acute patients. It is a cardiac rehabilitation process of 20 – 30 days.
After the patient is discharged from the hospital, the changes that have taken place in their body are closely examined. Because in this phase, the wounds of the patient start changing. And the patient starts getting ready for advanced treatment, so in this phase, the patient is examined for a long time.
What is done in subacute cardiac rehabilitation?
1) The exercises of the patients are increased.
2) Medicines are changed.
3) Changes so far in the patient from the treatment of phase 1 is seen.
4) The patient is made more independent and informative. And, all the detail is explained to the patients.
3) Outpatient: – This phase is started after proper follow-up of phase 1 and phase 2 of cardiac rehabilitation by the patient. After the surgery, if the patient’s blood flow, blood pressure, heart rate, and everything is stable, they may skip phase 1 and phase 2 immediately after surgery and directly start the cardiac rehabilitation process of phase 3. But if the patient’s heart rate and blood pressure are not stable, they have to follow the proper phase 1 first and then phase 2 and only then phase 3 is allowed.
In these sessions by sessions, the development of the patient is noted. In this rehab, more exercises and strict routines are added, and it is monitored whether the patients’ blood pressure and heart rate are normal or not.
4) Maintenance phases: – This is a crucial phase of cardiac rehabilitation. After doing these phases properly, the patient can start living regular everyday life. And to continue and keep this life stable, some habits have to be followed forever. The patient now has to make himself completely independent. All the exercises, routines, nutrition, lifestyle etc., have to continue. Without ignoring any changes in the body, it is necessary to keep daily routine checkups or consultations with the doctor. This is a home-based treatment.
The cardiac rehabilitation program is like a boon for heart patients. There have been proven benefits of rehab for patients who have suffered from heart ailments. So, if you have a family member or friend who needs physical, mental, and emotional and upliftment, cardiac rehab is the best treatment option.