Healthy Snacks for Diabetic Patients
Individuals diagnosed with diabetes need to focus on their diet. It is essential to consult a nutritionist; who can guide the patient regarding the healthy snacks that help maintain the sugar levels. Diabetic patients struggle with maintaining a healthy eating routine. It is best to opt for food; that assists in maintaining sugar levels and BMI. Patients with diabetes should book an appointment with a competent nutritionist from Doctors Hospital.
The snack ideas that help with the cravings and nutritional needs of diabetic patients are:
- Fruit Smoothies without Sugar: Smoothies made with strawberries and bananas with approximately six ounces of yogurt. It provides vitamins and calcium to the body. Taking smoothies in the afternoon helps the patient feel full of energy. Also, fruits provide adequate sweetness to the smoothie, which helps control the craving for intake of sugary content.
- Yogurt and Berries: Berries contain antioxidants that help with the functioning of the pancreas. The pancreas is responsible for producing hormones for maintaining blood sugar levels. Additionally, yogurt is a rich source of calcium and proteins. The combinations help the body to regulate blood sugar levels.
- A handful of Almonds: Almonds contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, proteins, and healthy fats that help in managing the blood sugar levels of diabetic patients. However, consumption should be limited. The patients should consume eight to ten almonds per day.
- Chickpeas and Vegetables: Patients who want change in their diet can make hummus from chickpeas and use it with raw vegetables. It is best to use carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli with two tablespoons of hummus. It helps lower down blood sugar levels. Additionally, the body gets protein and fiber to keep the person physically fit and healthy.
- Peanut butter with Fruits on Whole Grain Bread: Patients who find it difficult to shift to fruits and vegetables can opt for a whole grain slice topped with peanut butter and thinly sliced apples. Peanut butter is a good source of vitamin E and magnesium, which helps manage diabetes. Apples comprise polyphenol antioxidants, which are known to protect the pancreatic cells. Diabetes can affect the pancreas; hence, consuming apples is beneficial for overall health.
- Cottage Cheese and Boiled Eggs: Opting for foods that are enriched with vitamins, proteins, and healthy fats, is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle for diabetic patients. Eggs and cottage cheese combined can help the patient to lower down the sugar levels and provide the body with all the essential nutrients.
- Popcorn: Afternoon and tea-time call for snacks. It is best to select popcorn. It has a very low-calorie content that allows the person to maintain their overall body weight. Popcorns are beneficial for patients diagnosed with diabetes type 2.
- Dark Chocolate: Diabetic patients need to keep their hearts healthy. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids; that assist in the prevention of insulin resistance. Additionally, it helps prevent any heart-related disease. However, the patients are advised to consume only 1 ounce of dark chocolate.
- Whole-grain Pasta with Grilled Chicken: Preparing whole-grain pasta with grilled chicken can help provide carbohydrates and proteins. Sometimes patients have the urge to binge eat. Whole-grain pasta can get over the craving and make the person feel full for a longer time.
- Tuna Sandwich: Preparing a tuna sandwich is very easy. Use whole grain bread, add the packed tuna with some veggies. Tuna contains omega-3 and proteins. It enables to lower down blood sugar levels and burn belly fat. It is a healthy option for diabetic patients to make a tuna sandwich for lunch or dinner.
Diabetic patients; who are unable to manage their blood sugar levels should visit the best dietitian in Islamabad. The specialist will help provide a diet plan based on the patient’s preferences. It would allow them to lead healthier lives.