A List Of The Most Common Sports Injuries And How You Could Heal From It!
Participating in sports is vital in our lives, and almost everyone has done it. Regular sports activity positively impacts your body, but during participation, often due to slight mistakes or an accident, people trip and fall and get injured, causing a sports injury. Also, there are specialized sports injury clinics in Adelaide that treat such injuries.
List Of The Common Sports Injuries-
- Sprains: Sprains cause damage to the ligaments. Ligaments are connective tissues that connect our bones. There can be a tear or damage in the ligament when they turn the wrong way. The most common type of sprains for athletes are ankle and knee sprains. Sprains take a long time to heal, requiring limited to almost no movement for a while.
As a preventive measure, you should always do pre-workout stretches and exercise to reduce sprains’ risks. The only way to heal is by taking adequate rest. Even after recovering, the areas are prone to further sprains, so it is better to support the joint with a brace while playing.
- Strains: Strains are similar to sprains, but instead of ligaments, there is a muscle or a tendon tear or damage. Common muscle strains are caused by the hamstring, groin, and quad muscles.
Strains are usually minor, and they heal naturally. However, as a preventive measure, proper warm-up and stretching are essential.
- Fractures: Falling on the ground often causes fractures of the bones of arms, legs, and feet. It takes weeks of immobilization to heal. Apart from that, surgeries are also conducted to fix fractures. They are potent risks for most strenuous sports or contact sports.
But you can prevent these injuries by wearing proper padding and guard equipment and appropriate warm-up and stretching exercises. These help the muscles grow strong and flexible, preventing sprain, strain, or fractures. You must also avoid playing with the pain because the pain is often an indication of an untreated sprain or strain. This might leave the bone vulnerable to fractures.
- Tennis Elbow: No, this has nothing to do with the game of tennis. But tennis elbow means straining the ligament in the elbow due to repeated use for strenuous activity. The best way to avoid it is by taking breaks in between and never missing out on warm-up sessions.
- Achilles Tendinitis: The Achilles tendon is a mighty thin tendon at the back of the ankle. Overuse of the ankle causes rupture or breakage of the tendon, resulting in significant inflammation and pain. This can also cause immense difficulty in walking.
You can prevent this by strengthening your calf muscles by exercising and stretching. In addition, you should use the RICE technique on injury, which means rest, ice, compression and elevation, and anti-inflammatories.
- Concussion: A concussion happens when a sudden impact on the head causes the brain to lurch inside the skull, which sometimes damages the tissue holding the brain in its place. They heal naturally within a week or several weeks, and you can prevent them by wearing protective headgear.
Ducker Physio is a sports injury clinic in Adelaide that deals with all kinds of sports injuries. So, in case of a sports injury, you can rely on them. They’ve established their names around providing the users with the best of services.