A product key is the unique 25-character string of numbers or letters that you normally enter during the installation of a retail copy of Windows. At least one of the methods in this article can be used to obtain the product key for Windows 7, 8, 10, and the server versions of Windows. If you visit your activation screen, you may see that your product ID is visible, but the product key itself is inaccessible.
In the good old days, the product key of the HP laptop was always printed on a Certificate of Authenticity that came with the retail or OEM version of Windows, and later it was affixed as a sticker somewhere on the laptop itself. These labels could be found on your top laptop for nursing students, usually placed on the bottom.
This label would be the most straightforward way to find your product key, and even today, a boxed retail version of Windows 10 should include it. However, you will no longer find these stickers on modern pre-built computers. Instead, the product key is stored in the BIOS or UEFI, where it is generally inaccessible to users.
In this article we will tell you where to find product key on HP laptop. So, without any further ado, let’s get started.
Before knowing the working procedure to find the Windows 10 Product key on HP laptop, it is better to be conscious about the facts. Read below to find out about the two facts.
- The first one, if you are using the pirated version of Windows 10, then you won’t get the working product key by using these methods. This procedure will only fetch you the license if you are using genuine copy of Windows 10.
- Second one, in the case if you are trying to reinstall the operating system on the same Windows 10 activated laptop, then you actually don’t need to find the product key until you decide to activate the same copy of Windows 10 on another laptop. Take the backup of the license in any condition by using these two simple methods.
You can also visit:
Let’s see how we can find Windows 10 Product Key on a preloaded laptop or computer.
Method # 1
By Using the Command Prompt
You don’t need any kind of software to find the lost Windows product key and here is how you can do it.
- Open command prompt in administrative rights by right clicking at the left bottom corner. Here, you will need to type a command. wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey. The whole command is case sensitive. The L in the Licensing, S in the service, O in the Original, P in the product and K in the Key should be capital.
- Once you type the command, hit the enter button to view the Windows 10 Product Key in the command prompt window.
- If you don’t see any key, then you are using pirated version of Windows.
Let’s see the second method which is by using a software called ProduKey. Using the ProduKey by NirSoft you can recover the lost Windows and MS Office Product keys. You just need to download and run this tool on your computer to find Windows 10 Product Key.
- First of all, visit nirsoft.net and on the homepage find ProduKey under Freeware System tools.
- Click on it and come all the way down to download ProduKey software.
- Once downloaded, extract the ZIP file and then find the ProduKey application.
- Open it to view all the Windows product keys including Windows 10.
- You can note down these keys and can use them when you reinstall on your laptop.
Choosing a best and suitable gadget has always been a challenging task but through our tips it becomes easier.