One of the most important days of your life, an interview is a crucial opportunity for you to set that first impression. If done right, you won’t just land yourself a job, but it would set the tone for the rest of your time at the company. Preparing for your interview requires more than just preparing for the expected. It demands sophistication. Companies assess you for having the best resume and based on how you physically present yourself.
Talking about the physical presentation, your fashion sense plays a huge role when it comes to succeeding at an interview. Talking about styling for an interview, nothing can come close to the sophistication of a formal shirt. They are one of the first things that you think about when it comes to an interview. But are all interview shirts formal? Or can you pull off an interview with a casual design as well? Let’s find out.
What is an Interview Shirt?
Technically speaking, there is nothing classified as ‘interview shirts’ in the sartorial world. It is a term coined to elaborate your choice of shirt for an interview. Typically, all formal shirts can be worn for an interview; however, there are some neat casual designs that can be considered as well.
To sum it up, all interview shirts cannot be deemed formal. An interview shirt is a formal or casual design that completes your outfit, specifically for an interview.
Before You Style
Here are some important things that you need to do before even thinking about investing in a shirt:
- Take a quick look at the website and the social media handles of the company you are heading for an interview for. This will help you get a clear idea about the kind of outfits that work at the company by simply looking at what the existing employees are wearing. You can decide if you can go ahead with a business casual look or if the company only entertains a professional business attire.
- The industry would have a huge impact on your outfit. You can easily pick a casual shirt if you apply to a marketing or advertising agency. However, you cannot step in for an interview in a law firm without a formal dress shirt.
- Apart from the industry, the position you are applying for also impacts your final decision. You cannot go ahead with anything other than a suit if you’re applying for a senior position where multiple employees would be reporting to you. On the other hand, you can simply style your chinos with a premium formal shirt if you are a fresher looking to make a good first impression.
How to Pick the Right Shirt
Whether you are opting for a formal or casual shirt for an interview, there are a few things that you need to ensure.
- The fit: Make sure you get a fit that looks perfect on your body. A flawless fit won’t just look right but also be the most comfortable. The best brands would give you various options like classic, relaxed, and slim fit. You need to assess your body type and see what looks best on you.
- The fabric: When it comes to shirts, the fabric is what will define your entire experience. While you cannot go wrong with a simple cotton shirt, we would recommend you put your hard-earned money on high-grade fabrics like linen, Egyptian, and Supima cotton. The best fabrics will offer you a supreme fit while being reliable in the long run.
Finally, you need to find the brand that helps you make a high-quality purchase. Andamen is a homegrown premium fashion brand with a refined collection of formal and casual shirts. Their timeless designs and use of high-grade fabrics help you style with sophistication for your interview.
So, get your hands on a premium shirt and style for your next interview with confidence!