The dry heat of summers becomes manageable when delicious, juicy fruits are around us as refreshments. Not only do these delicious fruits keep us hydrated but their nutrients help us to remain healthy. One such summer fruit that is widely known in India as Aloo Bukhara is a juicy fruit that is an idea for a summer refreshing plate.
Known widely as plum, Aalu Bukhara has nearly 40 species that exist in numerous forms going from huge to little sizes and in various colours like pink, purple, red, yellow, green, and orange. Plum gets its name from the Persian word Aloo which is the Persian word for plum and Bukhara that specifies the region of the Balkan area of Uzbekistan. This natural fruit product is loaded with different nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, fibers, and Beta carotene which are exceptionally essential for a healthy human body. The article discusses the benefits and side effects of Aloo Bukhara or Plum.
Aloo Bukhara is a pulpy sweet fruit rich in nutrients. It has good fiber content and low-fat content making it a perfect fruit for weight management. 100 grams of the fruit provide 46 calories of energy, 157 mg of potassium, 11gram of carbohydrates, 0.7 grams of protein, and 0.3 grams of fats. The fruit’s 87% is water that helps you to stay hydrated. It contains 15% of Vitamin C and 6% of Vitamin A. It also has Vitamin D, Iron, and Magnesium making its fruit the perfect blend of nutrients essential for a healthy body.
Aloo Bukhara Benefits to health
The fruit Aloo Bukhara can be consumed as fresh fruit, after drying and can be eaten raw. The health benefits of Aloo Bukhara are many. Below are a few of the key health benefits of Aloo Bukhara:
- Rich source of Antioxidants: Aloo Bukhara are having good amounts of polyphenol which is an antioxidant that is good for heart health, and bone health and reduces the risks of diabetes. The antioxidants help in fighting free radicals and thereby protect against inflammation. Antioxidants also play an important role in fighting cancer.
- Reduces blood sugar levels: Aloo Bukhara helps in reducing blood sugar levels due to the presence of a hormone called adiponection that is known to regulate blood sugar levels. The fiber content decreases the rates of spikes by absorbing blood sugar and thus reduces blood sugar. It also reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. But Aloo Bukhara should be consumed in proper amounts as excessive amounts can cause a spike in carbohydrate levels and can raise blood sugar levels.
- Good for Bone health: Eating Aloo Bukhara helps in boosting bone health, especially in women during their post-menopausal phase. Vitamin K in Aloo Bukhara reverses bone loss and helps in the preservation of bone density.
- Good for heart health and blood circulation: The rich source of 157 mg of potassium in 100grams of Aloo Bukhara makes it a perfect fruit for maintaining heart rate, reducing cholesterol levels, and improving blood circulation. Potassium controls the cell and body fluids, controls heart rates, and maintains healthy blood pressures. Fibers in Aloo Bukhara help in reducing cholesterol. Vitamin B6 helps in reducing the risks of heart attack by controlling the levels of homocysteine. The fruit helps in increasing the total blood count thereby preventing the body from the risks of Anaemia.
- Address issues of Constipation: 87% of the Aloo Bukhara is of water and the rich fiber content together makes the body hydrated. This addresses the issue of digestion and thus reduces constipation problems. Aloo Bukhara contains compounds named sorbitol and isatin that help to keep up with defecations and manage smooth flow thereby reducing constipation. Sorbitol is a characteristic purgative that helps the internal organ to assimilate water and animate solid discharge, consequently easing obstruction.
- Good for Skin: Antioxidants present in Aloo Bukhara helps in fighting the signs of aging, and skin damage and also help in protecting against skin cancer. Polyphenols are widely used in skincare products. These polyphenols are present in Aloo Bukhara in natural form and thus provide good skincare.
- Good for vision: Vitamin A present in the fruit makes it a perfect choice for keeping your vision and eye health. These fruits are known to keep the eye membrane healthy and also protect it from the damage caused by Ultra Violet light.
Aloo Bukhara side effects
Excessive consumption of anything is harmful. On similar grounds, excessive consumption of Aloo Bukhara can cause side effects. Some of the side effects reported are as follows:
- When consumed in excess can cause stomach issues like gas problems, diarrhoea.
- When taken in large amounts the Aloo Bukhara can cause spikes in sugar levels in diabetic patients due to its high carbohydrate content. Thus, it must be taken incorrect amounts.
- There might be allergies due to Aloo Bukhara consumption.
- Excessive consumption of Aloo Bukhara can cause the formation of stones in the urinary tract due to its rich oxalic acid content that can crystallize and form stones.
If you face any of the above side effects or any other effects consult your doctor immediately.
Aloo Bukhara a fresh juicy fruit is known for its nutritional value. It has high amounts of antioxidants that reduce inflammation, are good for heart and skin health, and help in fighting cancer. These fruits are also known to reduce blood sugar levels. But Excessive consumption can cause stomach problems and can fluctuate blood sugar levels. Thus, the right portion of it must be consumed and the best benefits from it must be extracted.