Scandinavia is home to some of the most beautiful furniture designs on the planet. The popular Scandinavian design style is characterized by simplicity, functionality, and minimalism. Scandinavian furniture aims to be lightweight, airy, and of course, highly functional. You can bring the charm of Scandinavian design into your home with these five ideas.
1. Scandinavian Inspiration for Every Area of Your Home
A big part of Scandinavian design is the idea that good design should be accessible to everyone. This means that you don’t have to go out and spend a fortune on furniture and accessories in order to achieve that coveted Nordic look. There are lots of affordable items out there that will give your home that sought-after Scandinavian spirit. Start by looking for pieces with clean lines and muted colors. These will help to create a cohesive look throughout your home. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try making some of your own furniture and accessories using simple, affordable materials like plywood and corkboard.
2. Scandinavian Style is all about Simplicity
Scandinavian style is hailed for its simplicity. Clean lines and muted colors create an airy, uncluttered look that is perfect for modern living. This style is all about functionality, embrace it by using furniture that is designed to serve a specific purpose. For example, a bench with storage underneath can be used as seating or a place to store extra blankets. Choose furniture that is easy to clean and maintain, making it perfect for a busy home.
3. Clean, Pure & Fresh is Key to Scandinavian Design
3. Clean, Pure & Fresh is Key to Scandinavian Design: A big part of Scandinavian design is the use of light, airy colors and simple, clean lines. This creates a sense of purity and freshness in the home. To achieve this in your own home, start by decluttering and removing any excess items. This will help to open up the space and give the illusion of more room. You can also achieve a Scandinavian look by using light, natural materials such as wood, cotton and linen. These materials add a touch of warmth to the home and reflect the natural light that’s so important in Scandinavian design.
4. Contrasting Light & Dark is a Must
The fourth way to bring Scandinavian design into your home is to use contrasting light and dark accents. This can be as simple as adding a dark throw pillow to a light sofa or vice versa. You can also try a dark wood coffee table in a room with light walls or floors. This technique is a great way to add visual interest and make a space feel more polished.
5. Beautify Your Decor with Natural Elements
One of the things that makes Scandinavian design so beautiful is its focus on the natural world. Bringing in natural elements is a great way to add some of that charm to your decor. You can do this in a lot of ways, but one of our favorites is with plants. Not only do they add a touch of life to a room, but they also help clean the air. Another option is to use wooden accents. Scandi design often features natural wood elements, so using them in your home is a great way to nod to that style. Our Cullinan End Table is the perfect way to add a touch of natural wood to your decor.
When decorating your home, you can add a touch of Scandinavian charm by paying attention to some important style details. Whether you’re looking for the warmth of wood tones in your living room or the simplicity of light and dark contrasts throughout your whole house, this design movement has something for everyone. Nordic beauty is about clean lines and natural elements like water and forest life, with its simple forms inspiring the interior décor and furniture we see today.